The Bing Cave near Streitberg (in the municipality of Wiesenttal) is one of the three major tourist caves in Franconian Switzerland. Discovered in 1905 by the Nuremberg industrialist Ignaz Bing and developed into a tourist cave shortly afterwards, it is open to visitors over a length of around 300 metres.
🕳 The cave
The Bing Cave is a typical river cave: over a long period of time, an underground stream has carved an elongated, often narrow passage into the limestone. It is famous for its delicate sinter curtains – thin, translucent stalactite curtains that are among the most beautiful of their kind in Germany. Unlike the grand domes of the Teufelshöhle, it is a narrow, intimate cave passage, which makes a visit feel almost personal.
🕒 Visit
- 🕒 The walk through the cave takes about 25 minutes
- 🌡 Cool all year round – bring a jacket and sturdy shoes
- 🎟 Guided tours only; the cave is closed in winter
🚗 Getting there
- 🅿 Car park in the village; from there, a path leads uphill to the cave
- 🅿 Car park at the cave exit; it’s about 300 metres downhill to the cave
🥾 In the surrounding area
The Neideck ruins, the landmark of Franconian Switzerland, tower above Streitberg. The Wiesent Valley, with Muggendorf and its freely accessible caves such as the Oswald Cave, is just a few kilometres away, so the Bing Cave can easily be combined with a day’s hike.